Repd Conducts Search For Best Student Researcher
The screening of the five finalists for the search for A.Y. 2021-2022 Best Student Researchers was held in the morning of the 13th day of June, 2022 at the Farmers’ Training Center Conference Room. The candidates presented their research papers and answered the questions of the evaluation committee comprised of Dr. Honeylet J. Nicolas, VP for REPD, Mr. Rael C. Tejada, OIC-Director for Research, and Dr. Imee D. Esguerra, Director for Extension.
The five competing thesis titles and their presenters were:
1. Evaluation of Different Biomass Feedstock in the Performance of moving Bed Downdraft Gasifier (Carlo T. Atienza)
2. Evaluation of Carabao Substrate on Biogas Yield (Rhodel B. Cultura)
3. Growth and Production of Taiwan Chili Pepper (Capsicum capsici) in Varying Levels of Fortified Bio-organic Fertilizer under Net House Condition (Argie T. Bunalade)
4. Response of Different Levels of Composted Spent Coffee Grounds (SCG) on the Growth and Yield of Sweet Corn (Zea mays var. rugosa) (Mary Ann R. Santos)
5. Awareness, Participation and Satisfaction of Rice Farmers in Crop Insurance Programs (Louis Isodorie U. Cruz)
The adjudged winner was Carlo T. Atienza, a graduating BS Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering student for his research on biomass feedstocks used in a gasifier. His research addresses management of agricultural wastes as well as finding alternative sources for fuel.